Thursday, February 14, 2013

The (sometimes not so much) joys of country living

Started this a week ago Tuesday, gotta love that I'm busy though! (I think)
 
You always hear about 'the joys of country living'; for me - the open space, having a big garden (this spring? - fingers crossed), watching deer go across your land, coyotes singing at night, being able to ride out for as far as I'd like from my house and living with my horses outside my window.
The thing you don't hear about a lot is the roads, when it snows and rains.  Pure slop!
And then, you get a woman like me, who grew up as a city girl, and when she almost got stuck in their car on the road the night before, she calls the bus company to make sure they know about the roads (which they didn't) - just to warn them, and they choose not to drive the 3/4 of a mile to your place off the pavement.
And you send your daughter, who just got a 'mud day' off of school, out to take pictures for you... because you have MS, and navigating mud and slop is near impossible.
She didn't do too bad capturing the mud bog our road had become, but man, you should have seen the 'rooster tails' coming off my car and I couldn't really go over 30!!
One nice thing was that our usually frequented road (it's busy when people are going to and from work and we seem to be on the main thoroughfare between the two towns we're nearest - hence why our road is so tore up.
THAT all was from amost an inch of rain we had, plus snow melt, and frost coming out - welcome to the country!


No comments:

Post a Comment