Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Befitsof Horseback Riding - Part 2

It's probably better that I split this into two posts because of the length of the 5 page paper I summerized.  I found it most interesting that Dr. Meyers spoke specificly about the benefits of riding for people who are disabled.

I also found, in my web browsing, Jacobs' Ladder Therapeutic Riding Center's list of therapeutic benefits of horseback riding.  From their website:
Physical Benefits:
  • Stretching of tight or spastic muscles
  • Decreased spasticity
  • Increased range of motion of the joints
  • Reduction of abnormal movement patterns
  • Improved respiration and circulation
  • Improved appetite and digestion
  • Sensory integration.

Psychological Benefits:
  • Improved self-confidence
  • Increased interest in the outside world
  • Increased interest in one's own life
  • Development of patience
  • Emotional control and self-discipline
  • Sense of normality
  • Expansion of the focus of control

Social Benefits:
  • Friendship
  • Increased experiences
  • Enjoyment

Educational Benefits:
  • Remedial Reading
  • Remedial Math
  • Sequencing, patterning and motor planning
  • Improved eye-hand coordination
  • Visual spatial perception
  • Differentiation
 
And, for those not so interested in the mental and physical benefits, but more so in how much a workout you're getting; I found this:  Counting Calories at the Barn

All that aside, I have been truely 'feeling the burn' when I go out and get a horse ready, or even partially ready, on my own.  I have been fortunate enough to have good horse friends to help keep me riding that have been nice enough to get my horse saddled and unsaddled for me... and sometimes helped me on or off my horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment