Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Have child, will continue to travel

Well, I WAS going to just write about my experiences going to PT over the last week, but as the title came into my head I couldn't help but think of my travels over this fall.

Life can get 'complicated' when you have MS, or kids, but double that when you're dealing with both.  Luckily I have some great friends who are willing to help me get around with both 'weights' in tow.  Most memorable is a friend who drove my car for me, as I'm fatigue prone and it was a long trip, and help me get Cody taken care of, since I have to use the power chair at home.  Then another who was looking for an auction comrade to go on another long trip to an out door auction.  I didn't even THINK that both kids would have to go with and that she'd have to help me with Cody, but she took me anyway!  SO, we load up the stroller, the walker, provisions for us and the baby and Cody, Jayda and I and head off to spend most of the day walking around in a big field, she pushing Cody and I pushing my walker (which comes in handy at an event like this because it has a seat :-)).  Oh, I miss the days of just jumping in the car and going somewhere, but thank God for people who look past all the luggage.

Now what originally prompted the post.  Last week I started going to Physical Therapy again, 1 part on my knees and the weak hip muscles adding to their pain and instability, 1 part on the MS - supposed to be aqua therapy.  I found out the therapy/fitness/medical plaza that I started seeing a chiropractor in 2 weeks ago ALSO has childcare available while you are in the building.  SO, I got my prescriptions sent there and started last Friday.  I did my 'land therapy' first, consecrating on my legs and glut/stabilizing muscles, and that went fine.  So I went and changed for the pool.  They have a nice little heated 'track pool' which is an oval with a current and an open rectangle in the middle with some steps.  Generally, 'we' (people with MS) are told to stay away from hot tubs and saunas because of the heat.  This is 92*, probably the same temp as my shower and bath water, and I never noticed any problems while I was in the water.  (OH MY, aqua therapy is a lot more work than I thought it'd be!!)  I got out, fine, and went and started changing, then I started getting weaker, and weaker, and w-e-a-k-e-r.  So I'm dressed, and looking at my suit and shorts sitting about 4 feet from me trying to figure out how I'm going to go over there, pick them up, and carry them out using the walker they'd let me use since we didn't know how I'd react to the workout.  Chair.  I can do about anything out of my power chair, I bet that if they have walkers here for people to barrow, the have wheel chairs.  So I go ask for one.  Mind you, I'm getting more and more wobbly this whole time, and I really don't think PTs like seeing you come up to them like that. lol  I was intending to clean up my stuff myself, but that was not going to happen, the PT I had with me in the pool got my suit and stuff for me and took me up front.  Asked if I was ready to go, well, no, going with the cane back to the child care center and getting a 20+ lb. boy out to and in the car, no, I need to sit more.  'Oh, we can help you get out to the car.', the 2 PTs who were with me then say.  'Baby and all?', I ask.  'Well yes', and they did.  They got Cody loaded in his stroller, both of us out to the car (I'm still in the chair!) and even loaded Cody and helped me with the stroller.  I was feeling better by now, but sat a while more and ate my granola bar and rested.  Today, they kept me to just land, and will start aqua therapy in a few weeks.

It seems like a LOT of things to do to get a baby out and about when you can't simply unbuckle them and carry them in.

No comments:

Post a Comment