Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Handicapped accessible...

I still don't like the term 'handicapped', but it's a lot more understood than, say, 'altered'.  Although... wouldn't it be fun to have 'altered tags' and 'altered parking spaces' - I'm envisioning someone swinging upside down from a trapeze for the emblem, rather than that darn chair.... 

Anyway, in my opinion (IMO), people's idea of 'handicapped accessible' varies as much as the different type of 'handicaps' out there.  Take 'handicapped' parking spaces that are located AWAY from the door....
... just because that's the 'easiest' place to put the ramp.  Guess what, not all 'handicapped' people use a ramp.  Some, like me, use a cane and need a shorter distance over the use of a ramp, though both would be best.  

OR, take for instance, take bathrooms.  My husband and I were at a store this summer and, suffering from a weak bladder, I suddenly needed to use a restroom.  No public restroom, but when they were told I sometimes have frequency incontinence, I was told I could go upstairs and use the employee one.  RIGHT.  Thank goodness I never worked in a place like this and broke my leg!  Yeah, we left.  SO, there are handicapped accessible parking spaces, and handicapped accessible stores.

Most stores are not very 'disabled person' friendly, IMO.  Some of the bigger ones are better, providing scooters so that you are able to go all the way around the store AND be able to shop, but not all.  Even some of the ones that provide scooters still do not leave enough room between displays to be able to negotiate through.  Then, I've found the few department stores I've tried to shop at, don't have scooters, and where as you can find a manual wheel chair, good luck fitting it through any openings to actually LOOK at the clothes (or 'sport of your choice' items).

I really wish the architects and managers would consult with disabled people when they are designing the store's layouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment