Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My life's all tore up...


...well, my house is anyway!


We got this place is September, knowing I'd have to use the power chair once the baby was born, or before, as the case turned out to be.  It's on slab, so one level, with some stairs to a big room up stairs.  Perfect... except the people before didn't need a chair, and the doors barely fit me through.  I'd put a picture of what the door frames looked like from me hitting them half the time from getting a bad angle into the rooms, but they're gone.


I found a place that assists to disabled/handicapped/whatever with making their home accessible.  They have contractors bid on the job that needs to be done, and, of course my husband has been doing this kind of work for pretty much all of his working career and knows that he can do the job better, and for less $ than any regular contractor since he wouldn't have the extra expense that comes with having employees.  SO, we enter into the lovely reality of 'the job will get done by their date, but in my time (weekends)', and our house gets disrupted for about 2 months.  But, when he's done, all the doors and the bathroom will be handicapped accessible.


Love having my house improved, but could do with out the process.  I should have gotten a picture of the hall covered with door pieces, tools and a shop vac.  Maybe when the new doors go in.  Right now, and probably for the rest of the week, we have no doors on the bed rooms or bathroom.  Thank God we have 2 bathrooms in this place and that we're able to make the other small bathroom work!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for you, home improvements are always exciting but a bit of a pain eh? I'm sure you'll love it once it's done. can't wait to see pics of the finished product! :) BTW I have a new post as well, life is not getting easier for me still, but gotta keep on keepin' on right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gisselle! LOL, This is my first time living through a, basically, home renovation. I know I'm going to love it when it's done, but no doors and a fairly constant mess gets wearing. :-) I'm heading over to see your new post....

    ReplyDelete